Gravit Designer discussion

Assets Become Blurry When Exporting

I am using the Gravit Version 2020-1.2.1 desktop application on macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6 .

I’m working on a design in Gravit using some icons I have created outside of the program (where I have imported my icons as images). Within Gravit, they all look fine, however, when I export the file the icons become blurry and crusty. I’m noticing this only happens when editing the image using color adjust, whereas the image looks fine when unedited. Is there a way to prevent this from happening and keep the icons looking normal? I can be reached at Ash@Rubsam.net.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 12.48.52 PM
Within Gravit

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 12.55.44 PM
When exported as PDF at 150dpi

The file in question:
Paint Card.gvdesign (216.8 KB)

Hi and welcome Ash

The best way to keep the icons looking exactly as you want them would be to re-create them in Gravit as symbols, then you can reuse them, recolor them as much as you want. Fortunately your only using a few icons

As to why color adjust is having that effect on the icons is possibly because of how a color adjust works. Your icon images probably have anti aliased edges which you cant normally see but when you adjust their color that may be showing up more. Not sure why it’s more pronounced when exporting as a PDF though

Hope this helps

Hi @Ash

I wouldn’t recommend Gravit for pixel art (that’s what your icons are as they are 14px and have no anti-alias, and your fonts, and your assets), because to keep this sharp pixel appearence, Gravit should be able to export using Nearest Neighbour algorithm, but it can’t. So, if you change the export size, it will be blurry.

So my best advice is to use a raster program for that or maybe a pixel art program. There are a lot of options available but as a pixel artist myself, I like Aseprite.org

Aseprite is exactly what I used to create my icons. I did not create the icons within Gravit; I have created them within Aseprite and exporting them as enlarged .pngs. I’m trying to add these icons onto a graphic design I’m working on.

Preciate’ the advice and the welcome! I’ll certainly try this. Thanks!

When you have access to the “Advanced Export” dialog you can tell GravitDesigner to convert your text-elements (and that´s what´s most of it is) and you´ll be a happy camper:
PainCard.pdf.zip (282.7 KB)
Have to zip fir the upload herein.