Gravit Designer discussion

Design/select a border side

Hi it can be good to select a border side. and design them

for exemple in a block i want to make the border bottom white with 2px and other black with 1px

Do you have any idea how it can be implemented in Gravit?

hummmmm no sorry i have no idea

John Dunning once has Multi Border Rectangle extension for Fireworks, but it was easier to make borders manually :frowning:

1 Like

BTW, any plans for API or some other means for extendability in Gravit? With so many web developers out there Gravit will benefit greatly from opening APIs.

1 Like

@lim.chunwui here are some sketch implementation proposal

1 Like

Yes I have read it. Interesting.

Gravit will allow community make extensions for the app and available in the extension store.

2 Likes

Closest solution in gravit designer I found so far is using an inner shadow.

You can see the effect in this image:

2 Likes

Why not simply add an option in the Border menu bar at the side of “Advanced Settings” (it could be also in the Advanced Settings, but I would not do it) to uncheck “Uniform Border”? Doing so, a handle would appear at each path node at the intersection of the edges of the different border’s sides. By dragging these handles we could “adjust the border width at each path node” – as Christian Kramer (Plz make border feature smarter) tells us – and we could hereby even have borders with changing width along a single edge, I believe. But now, imagine that we could also add border-nodes (even if the shape/path would not have one at this point) or delete a node, or, generally, edit the border edge as we do with a path (making curves, etc.)? Likewise, the lines of limit between different border sections should be editable.
Simultaneously, at the inspector, the border would turn to a “compound border”, we could open a drop-down list of all the border’s segments, and individually edit the color, opacity and “basis/average” dimension of each segment. Optionally we should be able of selecting each section of the border to get active and visible at the inspector by clicking the interior of it, not at the edge, in the canvas.

We actually have such a feature request here already, but simply didn’t have time yet to implement it. As I already said before, there are 100s of features we would love to implement, but in the end we need focus rigorously.

Other than that, thank you very much for your suggestion, we will keep it in mind. :slight_smile:

I think I spent 15 mins looking for this option the other day, there wasn’t one on the old editor gravitor themed editor? Maybe not the ability to modify individual border widths and colors, but I thought there was an option to mute specific sides, making them invisible? In any case, here is a workaround, basically just figure the dimensions of your box and apply them to the dash and gap measurements. You have to flip the object around so that its start point is at the first border you want to keep (there’s no way to mute the initial pixel) but it still works more or less. You’ll have to add more than one border for different colors. Also if you reset your object’s size, you’ll have to reset the gap and dash, it doesn’t auto scale. That said, if you convert the object to a path once you have the border positioned where you want it, it will adjust to the two corner points once converted.

An even simpler way is to apply an inner shadow with “0” blur.

If we were speaking about workarounds/ways to achieve something concrete at present, I could also imagine some myself:

VarBord

But the question here, I believe, is about a new feature (a very desirable one in my opinion) and the best way to implement it. Nevertheless, it is talking that we learn, and I myself am very grateful to everyone for all their ideas here presented.

ah, i didn’t quite get the original tip.

Closest solution in gravit designer I found so far is using an inner shadow.

You can see the effect in this image:

I was attempting to put a shadow on the bottom border of an element so I needed the blur and it doesn’t quite work in that situation…

perhaps a more accurate example of the use case would be better. I tried to shift “x” to one side then cover it with the adjacent element, but unless I take advantage of the edge of the canvas cropping on export, there’s going to be a shadow on the edge somewhere.

What a hack… but just saved my butt

1 Like