Gravit Designer discussion

Exported PDFs are corrupted

Hello
Exported PDFs are missing some elements or not opening at all in Acrobat Reader.

I thought at first it was an Acrobat issue with dotted lines as here but I have changed them to unbroken lines and it’s still happening. It’s also happening in Xodo Reader so not an Acrobat problem.
I used the workaround in the thread linked above - launch the Preview app, open the PDF from within the Preview app, ‘Export as PDF’ (not ‘Export’>PDF), then open from Reader.
I can send a file if useful.

Actually I’ve just realised that this workaround doesn’t work for me - Previews ‘Export as pdf’ exports it at 58% scale. If I change the settings to 100% it increases the image size to actual size - but only exports a small section of it. If I use ‘Export’ `(rather than ‘Export as PDF’) then the full image is exported at actual size - but the outer line (which was broken but is now unbroken) is missing.
This is very frustrating.

Is the border for the outer line you are having problems with set as inside, outside or middle? If not middle try changing it and see if that makes a difference

Might help

1 Like

Have you tried: “Print->Save as PDF” already? Not sure without the actual artwork in front.

Cheers

1 Like

Thank you both. Techiekev yes, unfortunately it’s already set to middle.
Ellen, I thought this had worked! File>Print>more settings>system dialogue box > SaveAsPDF.
But alas I then realised, when I opened it from both Preview and Acrobat, that although it’s showing the outer border, it’s only saved a segment (one page) of the design. Screen shot of page in Gravit and then page in Acrobat Reader attached.

It’s hard to tackle without the original file. Please consider at least to upload an example file. Thanks.

Cheers

1 Like

Ah so sorry Untitled.gvdesign (68.3 KB)

Hi Kate.
I noticed you’re using the “infinity canvas” as your page size. I think PDF needs some real world scale as it is coming from the page description origin PostScript. Once I used the “Trim Canvas” command and export to PDF it looks just fine in Preview.app - unless I´m missing your point.
Cheers

1 Like

Unfortunately it always looks fine in Preview but fails to display properly in Acrobat, which I need because I need the poster function… Export (again) as PDF from Preview and open new PDF in Acrobat displays all the elements - but the scale is wrong.
I’ve experimented with a new Gravit document and drawing a new design using all the same processes (mask with shape, large curved path, expand/shrink border etc) and it’s displaying and printing from Acrobat fine.

So I have to conclude that my first Gravit document has been corrupted and isn’t fixable :frowning: which is a massive PITA - it’s a five page design which I’ll have to replicate. I don’t suppose you can think of a quick way to do this that doesn’t involve copying from the original corrupt file Ellen? Sorry to keep asking questions - you’re very generous with your help.

just to add - the new design I tested had infinite canvas and displayed and printed fine in AR.
Edit: it looks as though the corruption is at object rather than page level - I can trace over the old design, delete the old design, and export the new ‘traced’ design as pdf with no problems in Acrobat.
New edit: wrong - I can’t trace a new path on top of the old path with the pen tool - it justs edits the old path. Argh.

Oops. So the only reason to use AR is the poster print feature? I don’t have AR so I´ll try to find another workaround. Stay tuned. :grin:
Strange: AffinityDesigner can’t open the Gravit PDF and LibreOffice claims a defective PDF file, tries to repair but fails. I have to try an own drawing to check if your file is faulty in first place.

1 Like

Ok - I finally can isolate the issue to the usage of the “infinity canvas" size in first place.
Made my own drawing based on yours from scratch on a DIN A2 canvas, go export at the upper right main menu option - save first - then export to PDF. No issues in AffinitySuite, Cheetah3d, Safari-browser, LibreOffice still sees it as a faulty PDF but can’t repair it.
Here´s my try exported to PDF compressed, because PDF is not allowed in this forum:
A2OwnDrawingPDFexportTest.pdf.zip (2.5 KB)
Hopefully it will help you out.
Cheers

1 Like

Ellen thanks so much - I think though that the problem is corrupted objects in that file, rather than the canvas size - I can draw something else next to those objects on the same canvas using the same methods, and export and print the design fine.

In fact Daniel at Gravit has come back to me via email with a workaround for the designs I’ve already done, which is to flatten the images before exporting as a PDF. I can’t tell you how grateful I am for the time you’ve spent investigating though - I’ll report back when I hear from the developers who are investigating!

Thanks for letting me know. I started with a fresh scene and infinity canvas and ran right away into the issues reported above. Using real paper size did it here at least, but don’t have AR to check my uploaded file from above.
Waiting for Daniel then… :smile:

Cheers

1 Like