Corel Vector discussion

Gravit no longer free to download?

As a high school graphic design teacher, I’m so disappointed to see resources that were once free taken from students once again. Low income districts don’t have the funds to purchase your “very generous” educational license. As it is, I’m buying a majority of my classroom supplies out of pocket. Now I have 190 high school students who have lost access to their files and are extremely frustrated.
Digital art teachers across the country are now left scrambling to re-write curriculum and find another online design site with little to no notice. If communication around this change were better we could have at least spent the summer planning for how to make this shift.

At the address of @KatelynComeau and @Matthew
I really don’t understand why you as teachers don’t build on FOSS (free and Open Source Software like Inkscape, GIMP, LibreOffice, Scribus etc.) in first place - I really absolutely don’t.

Most of the students in modern school settings use chromebooks and need a browser based format because they can’t compile the software you are talking about without pulling all the resources of the chromebook. Corel Vector (Gravit) was a fantastic solution that allowed us to introduce and train students in graphic design and job ready skills. I used inkscape when we had desktop computers and classroom laptops. Hopefully this helps you understand.

To other educators, I have migrated my classes to “Vectr” as a way to continue working on the chromebooks. vectr.com or you can search for the Vectr chromebook extension

1 Like

Chromebooks.

1 Like

I really don’t understand why you would blast these poor teachers in the first place - I really absolutely don’t.

Do you know how many variables are involved with reinstalling software on every machine, for every profile, cross-platform? It’s a disaster. If you’ve stuck with the same computer for the last 10 years, way to go, but for people who switch computers often, in settings like schools/workplace, doing anything other than cloud/sass just doesn’t make sense.

Generous offers do a teacher no good when you have a budget of ZERO Dollars. I love how all the Computer Science folks preach inclusion and equity and then take a free product like this off the board making it inaccessible for poor districts. I am sure many affluent districts will jump at the generous discount but we must now go with another free product such as Inkscape for Chromebooks or Vectr.

The fact that my kids accounts got shut down in the middle of a project is infuriating. Other products such as 3D Sketchup have scaled down versions for education that work on a Chromebook and are Free.

I haven’t used this in a bit, and went to see if I could grab an updated version today, but I guess I’m going to have to cancel my subscription if there’s no standalone downloadable version available. I use Opera and it doesn’t offer the install to desktop in the browser, I really need a separate application due to issues with my laptop’s drawing pen working in all web browsers and I don’t particularly feel like installing others unnecessarily when I could just find another application that suits my needs. Going to start looking for other options now I suppose :expressionless:

I haven’t used Gravit (now Corel Vector) since it was placed behind a paywall. Last school year, my STEM teacher taught me how to use the program. I used it all the way until it was no longer a free software. I had a lot of fun with it, and it was my introduction to graphic design. When I was selected to design the school’s yearbook cover, I used Gravit to create the design, and that book is now one of my prized possessions. I didn’t use Gravit for just the yearbook either, I used it to help me with PowerPoint presentations in school, and the profile picture for my account I created using Gravit. Now, unable to use Gravit, I haven’t done much with graphic design. Gravit was a great program for students like myself. I looked on the internet, but there isn’t any programs like it. I kindly beg for a return of the free version of Gravit. It was the gateway to graphic design for many students like myself, and I feel bad for teachers who have to change their lesson plans due to this change.

If you had a Gravit Designer account, you can still use Corel Vector for free. Older accounts are grandfathered.

Hi,

As a follow-up I still can’t install the PWA with any browser, including Chrome. The option is there in the latter, but it is greyed out (see

). There is no “Install…” option in the Chrome menu either, which is usually where I install PWAs from.

Can you help with this? Would it be possible for the PWA to be released on the Mac Store again? Or a direct link (if that makes sense, not sure)? I don’t have constant access to internet, and this is a huge limitation.

hi @1115,

Try clearing the cache. It is a cache issue. But be warned that the fonts installed will be deleted.

This is just to let you know that i am cancelling my yearly subscription because of i irritated with this.

Even though when my subscription was ended i should be able to use the free version or at least I should be able to download my existing works, now nothing is happening without payment.

Gravit use to be simple Yet powerful tool. I guess Corel has corrupted it. My company is moved to much better product which Adobe. Bye bye Gravit and i am so sad i am leaving it.

@Bheemaa Please contact support and they will help you.

@Scofano - I forgot to mention I did that too (in every browser, but it appears Chrome is the only one allowing PWAs), and I just did it again (in case something changed), but still greyed out. Any clue or help?

I tried to look for PWA/Chrome/MacOS compatibility before posting again, and it’s a hit or miss. Unsure what is preventing this from working on my machine: of note, the old app from the Mac Store, despite being the same architecture (as you mentioned, sorry if this is the wrong term), works fine for some reason.

@1115 Please try to close all Corel Vector windows you may have opened, fully clear your cache and it should fix the issue. Unless you already have it installed, it should be enabled.

It happens when there is a file missing, maybe a cookie or something. So, please check if you have external programs that might be blocking the loading of all files. If a single file is missing, the PWA installation is not enabled.

@Scofano - I forgot to mention I did that too (in every browser, but it appears Chrome is the only one allowing PWAs), and I just did it again (in case something changed), but still greyed out. Any clue or help?

I tried to look for PWA/Chrome/MacOS compatibility before posting again, and it’s a hit or miss. Unsure what is preventing this from working on my machine: of note, the old app from the Mac Store, despite being the same architecture (as you mentioned, sorry if this is the wrong term), works fine for some reason.

If that helps, I have tried on a Windows computer, the option is still grayed out (before and after clearing the cache) on Chrome and Edge, and it does not exist on Firefox. However, if you use the menu install option (both on Chrome and Edge) is works. This option is not available on Chrome for Mac.

Hi @Bheemaa,

please get in touch with support. It is possible that you are using a different email.

It makes me wonder if it’s how MacOs is set up (I am on Ventura), and prevents installation of this PWA due to the security settings. I will try to see if someone else has similar issue with other PWAs. Hopefully there is a solution somewhere.