Gravit Designer discussion

Is there a Linux distro I can use desktop Gravit on?

Hey guys, loving the software!

I posted a little while back about an issue with dropdown lists in the current Linux desktop version being black, and I posted the associated error message: Little bugs in Linux AppImage

Claudia mentioned some distros aren’t 100% compatible at the moment, so I was wondering if you could recommend a distro I could use instead please? (So far tried Kubuntu, ElementaryOS, Manjaro and Antergos).

I’m using it on the web, which is great, but desktop would be even better.

Thanks!

Kezz

Greetings,

this is not a general bug on linux platforms.
Chances are it is an issue with amd’s open source drivers.

I used to run the application with open source amd-drivers and proprietory nvidia-drivers.
Switching to nvidia hardware fixed it.

Things you could try to do:

Start the appimage with an additional parameter: GravitDesigner.AppImage --disable-gpu
After that, you probably can’t use most of the Effects.

“radeon” and “amdgpu” are open source drivers. You may want to try “amdgpu-pro” which is the proprietory driver.
However, I don’t know if your graphics card support it.

There is another proprietory driver for older amd cards which is known as “fglrx” but that driver doesn’t support current X.org versions so you have to install an older linux distribution to use it. For example Linux Mint 17.3

Hey @pycoder, yeah you nailed it. I disabled GPU and the dropdowns worked, but the software would only run in a small window (wouldn’t resize) and as you said the effects wouldn’t work. I didn’t think it was a distro specific issue, but wanted to give the benefit of the doubt.

That’s a real shame, the open source drivers are my primary reason for using AMD, and from all reports they are rapidly overtaking AMDGPU-PRO on performance so I won’t be switching I’m afraid. I actually just set myself up with Antergos specifically so I can get the next Mesa and kernal asap because some recent benchmarks were looking fantastic.

Perhaps I’ll setup an Ubuntu partition or something for it. However my experience so far has been that AMDGPU-PRO won’t even work properly with a different DE on Ubuntu, in that Blender won’t recognize it for GPU rendering. And given I never liked Unity and it’s going away soon anyway, I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Might just have to stick with the web version for now. Oh well.

Thanks for the help!

Make sure the gpu that are opening Gravit designer is supported by chrome and not blacklisted.

@pycoder is right, it’s compatibility issues with some GPU. We pushed a fix to disable GPU blacklist on the app, so maybe on next version this issue will no long appear, but is hard to say as we are unable to reproduce it. About our suggestion, we are currently testing the app on Ubuntu, but any distro that has full support of the AppImage format should work fine. On next release we will be introducing snap packages aswell.

Thanks for the extra info.

I’m running an RX480. I haven’t been able to find specific mention of it being blacklisted, but I did find mention of AMD cards needing proprietary drivers:

WebGL is enabled on ATI/AMD GPUs with proprietary AMD drivers 8.98 or newer.

I’m not clear on it though because WebGL does work just fine in Chrome / Chromium regular browser.

I’m happy to help try and isolate the issue, do tests, screen recordings etc. I do have an ElementaryOS partition I can tinker with, so if you’d like I can install proprietary drivers on that and let you know if the error messages go away.

Would that help?

By the way, thanks very much for supporting Linux. It’s very much appreciated.

Hey kez,

you could type “chrome://gpu” in the address bar of your chrome web browser to check the “Graphics Feature Status”.

I remember when I used to run Linux on AMD hardware with open source drivers, this list didn’t look good at all.
A lot of red and yellow, I think only one or two features were green.
(Of course, in the system settings of chrome I had “Use hardware acceleration when available” activated)
At the time, the proprietory amdgpu-pro did not support my older GCN card.

I assume it helps to install AMD’s proprietory driver.

Hey all,

Just wanted to post back - I did try to install AMDGPU-PRO so I could help isolate this issue.

I installed it first on my Elementary OS partition but it borked the install up and wouldn’t boot after that. I didn’t want to go through the fuss of uninstalling the drivers without a GUI so I thought I’d just install Ubuntu 16.04 on the partition, given that’s one of only two distros supported, and use that instead. So I installed Ubuntu, then installed AMDGPU-PRO and that borked too.

I’ve installed AMDGPU-PRO on this hardware before without issue, but the proprietary drivers have such a narrow amount of support at this point so it’s kind of painful, while the open drivers run everywhere and really well.

Again though, if it’s helpful to the devs I will try again to setup a test with AMD closed drivers on an RX480. Otherwise if it’s no real help to anyone I’ll skip it and hope all goes well down the track with later releases.

Not sure but i think is ubuntu 15.10 or 16.10 that works fine with amd proprietary drivers, i had a lot of troubles with it on some time ago… ^^

To not need always to reinstall the os, you can remove the driver by command line.

This should help:

Completely remove your ATI drivers from your system:
sudo apt-get purge “fglrx.*”

Remove your xorg.conf
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Reinstall xorg completely

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64
Re-configure Xorg

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Reboot

sudo reboot

See this is why I love Linux. Linux people are always so helpful! Thanks @pablopetzen

I don’t really want to actually use vanilla Ubuntu though - it’s sort of a spare partition I use for messing about, so I’m probably just going to throw another distro on there I’ve been meaning to try out.

I purely installed it to try and help troubleshooting. It’s supposed to be 16.04 these drivers work on, and they have for me in the past. Not sure why it all borked this time. The latest benchmarks show the open drivers are pulling way ahead of the closed on performance so, especially given the closed drivers are such a hassle, I’ll just stick with them and see what happens.

Greetings,

I just did my own test and built another Linux machine with AMD hardware.
Distributions: Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.04.3

As expected, the proprietory amdgpu-pro driver solved the problem.

@denner.erthal I just wanted to confirm this is a GPU blacklist issue with Electron, when using the open drivers.

I’ve been working on a course teaching people how to use Gravit and really wanted to use my normal work environment so I came back around to take another look at this. I did some more Google searching on the error I posted in my first thread, which is:

[1521:0916/113325.987414:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder_autogen.h(2916)] [.DisplayCompositor-0x152cb373cc00]GL ERROR :GL_INVALID_ENUM : glTexParameteri: target was GL_FALSE

I learned it’s a problem with Electron that other apps like PiBakery and Avocode have run into, and through reading their issue discussions discovered they solved it with the flag --ignore-gpu-blacklist.

When the AppImage is launched via command line with ./GravitDesigner.AppImage --ignore-gpu-blacklist the problem goes away.

I can also confirm that all the Effects seem to work just fine with this flag, as opposed to with the --disable-gpu flag.

By the way, if you want to reproduce, so far the issue has been present for me on every distro I’ve tried using the open AMDGPU drivers. So far for I’ve reproduced with an RX480 on Ubuntu, Antergos, Manjaro, Kubuntu and ElementaryOS.

On Ubuntu everything runs fine with AMDGPU-PRO, but not with AMDGPU unless you use the flag.

I could be wrong, but I suspect a majority of people use the open drivers as A) they now give better performance in gaming, B) they work with the latest kernels, C) they’re supported outside of Ubuntu, D) the closed drivers are a pain to install.

So I’m very glad there’s a fix! :slight_smile:

Yeah, using the --ignore-gpu-blacklist parameter is probably the better solution for most AMD users.

Even though the google chromium blacklist is there for a reason and according to google, ignoring it might cause instability, I guess on a modern linux distribution with updated open source drivers, it should be save to ignore it on Gravit Designer. Not sure, if it works with all AMD cards. Mine did well on a short run.

I’ve seen reports that at least some games run better with amdgpu-pro,
and only the proprietory driver offers the Vulkan API.
I know that Steam OS switched to open source drivers by default.

Ubuntu kernels (>= 4.10), built by Canonical, on Ubuntu based distributions, should work.

Pro is also available for RHEL based systems (6.8 and 7.2).
The installation on an updated Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.04 was simple,
I just had to extract the tarball, run a script and restart the system.
On an Ubuntu based distribution, like Mint 18.2, I just had to change the ID in /etc/os-release (‘linuxmint’ to ‘ubuntu’) to run the installation script. This method probably works on other Ubuntu 16.04 based distributions as well (not tested).