Gravit Designer discussion

Snapping shapes doesn't really snap them

So basically I snap my paths using the snapping (obviously). But the snapped shapes aren’t really snapped - and what I mean by this is that there is some empty space between them. You can see the background. Even though it is an extremely small spacing when you zoom out you can still see it, and it is really, but I mean really, annoying.

Have you tried selecting all shapes and then ‘Modify / Align / Snap to full units’ then snapping them?

Nope. I will try it now. Ok I just tried, still not working

Forget for a moment how it looks in Gravit, how does it look when it’s exported?

I have seen this myself, there is a very feint gap, often if you look at the position of each object one of them will be at X.1 to X.9 if you change the positioning they will snap together

Also if you are seeing a tiny gap if you select the 2 shapes and you do ‘Modify / Create compound path / Union’ when they are joined if there is really a gap you should be able to see it with the sub select tool

Hope that helps

When exported (as png) I can still see it. The “Union” method makes it a COMPLETELY, but completely different design.

The union was just to see if a gap was showing with the sub select tool

Can you upload an example or the .gvdesign file?

Did you figure out how to fix the issue?

I have a way to remove the gaps but its how to explain it to you because of how the design is created with so many shapes overlapping. Give me 10 mins

So if I understood right you can’t explain it to me and I have to give you 10 minutes? Sure :+1: But afterwards please explain how I can remove the gaps for my future works.

To start with part of your problem I think is caused by the way you have so many shapes on top of each other, . I looked at the gaps in the big staircase in the middle, the side is made up of 5 separate rectangles snapped next to each other. There are also multiple other shapes behind all overlapping each other Ideally that should really be just one shape,

What you could do to remove those gaps is to draw a path that covers all the gaps in that section the same blue as the staircase side. THEN put that behind the blue shapes making up the side but only behind the blue shapes. That will remove those gaps

But for the way forward, if it was me I would start to think about what shapes I wanted and start joining bits together, cutting bits out of shapes so you have only one shape to work with then you wont have any gaps to worry about

Combining and cutting shapes is your friend rather than just adding more and more shapes on top of each other

You also really do need to start naming things so everything is not just called path or group. Organizing your objects and groups makes working with complex designs much easier in the long run

Hope that helps

But for the way forward, if it was me I would start to think about what shapes I wanted and start joining bits together, cutting bits out of shapes so you have only one shape to work with then you wont have any gaps to worry about

Combining and cutting shapes is your friend rather than just adding more and more shapes on top of each other

I just didnt understand this part. How can I combine shapes, do you mean group them or compound shape?

Compound shapes, unions, subtracts etc. You can create very complex shapes this way without having so many shapes overlapping that are actually causing some of the gaps your seeing

You will also have less shapes to manage and snap together

Thanks. But I have some experience with compound shapes. When I create a compound shape everything becomes the same color, meaning I won’t be able to shade different sides of the stairs?

Also what are bits and how do I join and cut them?

Im talking about an area where you have 5 pieces all the same colour to make one shape and each piece is giving a gap between them. Added to this there are multiple other shapes behind and overlapping

Compound paths are very powerful, yes all the parts in the compound are the same colour but you will have more than one compound shape just not hundreds of individual shapes

Hi @Ento,

would you please post some pictures of what you want to achieve?

Also, please check this: https://documentation.designer.io/basics/compound-shapes-boolean-operations/

When I create a compound shape everything becomes the same color, meaning I won’t be able to shade different sides of the stairs?

yes, if you need different shapes to have different colors, you have to keep them separated.

Yes, I’ve been doing the same thing but using the groups instead of compound shapes. If I begin using compound shapes will everything be faster, because when there are lots of shapes the software gets slower?

It depends on the number AND the complexity of the shapes.

You should not have any problems with 100 circles (I’d go for texture fill), for example. But 100 complex paths, probably yes (less performance due to the number of points and paths).