Gravit Designer discussion

We need to talk

First off, thank you to the Gravit team for making a great app. When I stumbled upon Gravit Designer over a year ago it was EXACTLY what I was looking for and worked flawlessly on Linux (Ubuntu in my case). Purchasing a subscript was an easy choice. However, we need to talk about something that’s been bugging me for a while…

While I think PWAs are great, they shouldn’t be considered a universally acceptable option (yet). As a Firefox user on Ubuntu this isn’t an option for me at the moment and unfortunately since the PWA announcement the desktop apps have been lagging behind. Specifically, the Linux AppImage is stuck at v1.2.1 (I think, I can’t log in when using the AppImage at the moment). It was mentioned back in October that an update is coming but since then there’s been no update or additional communication. And sure, there is a snap available but compared the the AppImage it’s slow and bloated. To be completely honest I’m starting to loose faith in Gravit’s commitment to their desktop apps which is one of the main reasons I purchased a subscription in the first place.

Right now my hope is that PWA support comes to Firefox but that is unlikely to happen any time soon). However, until then we need something better. Ideally this would be updated desktop apps from Gravit but, heck, I’d even take an electron-based app right now if that was an option (though still inferior to AppImages, IMO).

Please Gravit, I love your product and want to continue loving it but your support for the desktop apps has been making that difficult lately. Repeatedly pushing users to use the PWA is fine but shouldn’t be the ONLY solution when problems arise. If desktop app support is on it’s way out at least make that (or whatever your plans are) known through an official announcement.

3 Likes

Hi @ChrisKankiewicz,

Let’s talk. Your feedback is much appreciated.

While I think PWAs are great, they shouldn’t be considered a universally acceptable option (yet).

PWA is growing a lot and it seems to be a very promising technology so far.
Would you please share your thoughts about why you think it is not acceptable at the moment?

Btw, any special reasons you don’t want to use Chrome?

I can’t log in when using the AppImage at the moment

Are you trying to use Google login? Did you try to reset your password? This issue was supposed to be fixed on 2020-1.2.1 (please check if you are using 1.2 or 1.2.1)

I also found this here on the forum:

It was mentioned back in October that an update is coming but since then there’s been no update or additional communication.

Its been mentioned (by me) quite a few times here on the forum that on the next release, both desktop and web/PWA will be at the same version again. Unfortunately, I can’t remember which posts I said that.

I’d even take an electron-based app right now if that was an option (though still inferior to AppImages, IMO).

You know that the desktop version that you are using (and used for the last versions) is electron-based, right? :slight_smile:

If desktop app support is on it’s way out at least make that (or whatever your plans are) known through an official announcement.

I guess you are referring to the other thread where I mentioned you could try the PWA version. It was not about pushing you to the PWA version, but offering another option as the current one was not working for you at the moment.

I mean, if you have important work to do, maybe you could use it while the desktop fix isn’t ready.

I have no official or unofficial information about desktop support going away and as mentioned before, the next release will make versions equal again.

So, it is just a matter of time. (And it is pretty near already) :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, that was a bit of an emotional rant. I appreciate your response and DO appreciate the software and all the work you people do.

Would you please share your thoughts about why you think it is not acceptable at the moment?

The main issue here is that Firefox does not fully support PWAs. I can use the app from the browser jut fine but can’t install it for offline use and don’t get some of the other benefits of PWAs like deeper OS integration (e.g. exporting a file to specific location).

Btw, any special reasons you don’t want to use Chrome?

I’ve used Chrome in the past, it’s a fine browser, however I’m attempting to move away from Google services and software (including Chrome) mainly for privacy concerns. However, I also genuinely like Firefox better.

Are you trying to use Google login? Did you try to reset your password?

Neither regular login nor Google login worked. I think I tried resetting my password already but I’ll try again.

You know that the desktop version that you are using (and used for the last versions) is electron-based, right?

Yeah, sorry I meant to say something along the lines of a .deb package.

if you have important work to do, maybe you could use it while the desktop fix isn’t ready.

I’ve been using it in the browser for now but like I said, this doesn’t allow offline use and some other things.

… the next release will make versions equal again.

So, it is just a matter of time. (And it is pretty near already)

Good to hear. I eagerly await that. Thanks again for the response.

Sorry, that was a bit of an emotional rant. I appreciate your response and DO appreciate the software and all the work you people do.

No problem at all. In fact, we love feedback.

In the past, we had this masking feature removed, then after a thread here on the forum, we have put it back due to demand. So, the more feedback, the better.

Thanks for all your comments.

If you still have issues with login, after you manage to reset your password, please reach us at the support form, so we can get console prints (console and network tabs) to help to understand what is happening.

The versions are now equal but the Linux version has regressions. I contacted the support as a Pro user, and they just seem to not understand, or not care, that a regression should be a high priority and justifies a hot fix version.

GravitDesigner just cannot save/export anymore on network shares (CIFS), breaking my workflow and my productivity. I downgraded to use the previous version, but it is being automatically updated every two launches.

Also, the Linux version needs some love, the launcher icon is blurred, files aren’t associated with GarvitDesigner in the “open with dialog” etc.

When I see all efforts made for mobile devices support, which is rather cool, but at the same time, seeing that desktop and more particularly, Linux version, are sort of abandoned, I am very disappointed. I love GravitDesigner and want to keep using it on the desktop, so please don’t abandon your early “Pro” adopters.

1 Like